Boot Advice

I guess it just depends on how and where your using the boots. I love my keen Targhees, but I just do two or three day mountian hikes or quick desert trips. I also buy them half off in new condition thru backcountry.coms used sales in geartrade.com. Sofar its worked out amazing for me. However, if I was going to do harder trips like what Bob does then I would switch to my full leather boots and not worry about a sprained ankle or the shoe falling apart.

Long term breaking in a quality leather boot is the way to go but for shorter hikes its over kill unless thats what you like. I personally will never use anything with less support than a mid hiking boot as I have an ankle that once sprained has never been the same after a hard beating.

Yeah I am kind of looking for something in between hardcore heavy backpacking boots and hiking boots. I would say I am leaning towards the more supportive heavy duty boots though

I'm no expert but when I get boots for my friends I have them size each of their feet as they are not always the same size and usually go a half size bigger or even a full size. Feet tend to swell and the socks do add volume. Just make sure you don't get your heel to lift as you walk. I check for the length, width and type of arch. No sense getting boots with narrow points if you have wide feet or using the stock inserts which usually are garbage if you have a high or low arch. Also, you might want to consider buying the boots somewhere that will let you return them if they don't workout after a hike or two.

I use these for inserts. I would also buy them somewhere if they don't work you can return them.
http://www.rei.com/product/752606/sole-dean-karnazes-signature-series-custom-footbeds-medium-volume

Yep, stock inserts are usually junk...I have used superfeet inserts for years.

Yeah I have been really looking into the superfeet. Also, does anyone have any experience with the salewa alp trainer or mtn trainers?

I'm a big advocate that you need the right shoe for the condition you're hiking in. I typically use a full boot for MOST of my backpacking trips. I had them custom made for my duck feet 3 years ago and they haven't let me down yet. I probably have about 300 miles on them to date. Some of my trips I only where a mid-cut boot. And in the winter....well you know. Different footwear for different conditions. Furthermore, your choice in boots/shoes could be the most important backpacking gear decision you make.

If you purchase what you believe is the right boot and still have blister problems, one solution is to get toe socks. Also, duct tape is your friend if you use it in time when feeling "hot spots" on your feet.

Good Luck

Agree on diff boots not only for diff feet but for diff trails/conditions. Right now I have Ahnu Supgarpine Waterproof boots, which I LOVE so far, but they are too warm for me at least for summer hiking unless it's monsooning. They are lightweight and fit me really well; a low pair of Salomon somethings (some trail runners, but bought used from a friend and can't figure out which exact style they are), which are Gore-Tex and working well so far for generic day hikes. I'm using Poron inserts in those; Merrell Pace Gloves ("barefoot" shoes) that do indeed improve calf muscles but I've only day-hiked in them; and a cruddy pair of low Montrails I bought out of desperation which do not hold up and ensured I will never again buy the brand. Oh, and I have an old pair of sturdy leather Zamberlans, still love them. Wore them throughout winter when I was in the backcountry 8 days on at a time, twice a month. FWIW I have high arches, need a wide toe box.

Sold Keen Targhee IIs for years in gear shop, people often came in, spotted them, and said they loved that brand and style. I had a pair of low Keen hikers, I think maybe the Bryce, not a fan. Fell apart too soon.

Day hike in my Chacos all the time. Usually can't wear them more than one day in a row if hiking more than 6 miles, though, as the soles of my feet get rubbed too much. I'd never backpack with anything less than ankle-height boots, because I'm one of those who needs that extra support when I hike with weight for longer distances. I don't think higher-topped boots are going away anytime soon. Still lots of people out there with weak ankles or who just want that extra level of protection.

I prefer Lowa brand boots. Best, longest lasting, most durable boots I've ever owned. Also the most expensive, but worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer Lowa brand boots. Best, longest lasting, most durable boots I've ever owned. Also the most expensive, but worth every penny.

What lowa boots would you recommend? I have been looking into the Khumbu II's lately.

I have found that people without boots tend to walk around puddles in the trail--rather than walking right through them. Walking around widens the trail and increases erosion, which is why it's against leave no trace principles.

I say wear the boots and save the wilderness.

Horses without boots walk around the puddles too......

What lowa boots would you recommend? I have been looking into the Khumbu II's lately.

I have the Renegade GTX and I really like them. My pack weighs about 40 lbs and they offer enough support. It is getting to where it's time to replace them though and I think I'll be replacing them with a pair of the Z8N boots.

I got a pair of Zamberlan Tofane last season and have been using them year round for photo and hiking trips. I had a pair of Asolo's before and had a big issue with the sole not really having much in the way of grip on semi worn boulders. After the last face plant down a cliff I decided to switch up. The Zamberlan's have a vibram sole which I have been happy with so far. They have a wider toe box so keep that in mind.