Trip to the uintas?

Stephanie

I've been planning a backpacking trip to the uintas for this weekend, but my sister is scared that it's going to be freezing cold and we will get rained on the whole time. Every weather website is different for the forecast....so I don't know what to think! Good idea...or bad idea for a 2 day backpacking trip in the uintas this weekend? Any advise?

Thanks! It's her first backpacking trip, so she is a little scared. Any suggestions on where to take her? Looking for somewhere not super difficult to get to backpack to...and somewhere that isn't going to be insanely crowded with people would be good also.

Oh, just read your post about her first backpack. I would definitely avoid the Uintas this weekend then. :)

Lots of nice beginner backpacks in the desert if you're up for the drive.

Just my luck right there, haha. I'm willing to drive anywhere within a 2 hour drive. Is there anything within 2 hours from SLC area that would be a good idea?

A little late but I just got back from a night at Amethyst. I got a little rained on, but it wasn't bad. However after I got out today at around noon it looked like things were setting up for a pretty good storm.

I really wanted to hit up Ostler but I wasn't sure Amanda would have been warm in the new two person hammock, so we played it safe and we did an over niter at Island Lake this Friday. Over all it was a really nice trip and the underquilt did a good job for being climate shield. On the way out I saw a few groups of hikers as usual in all cotton as the weather was turning for day hikes. I didn't think it would be this packed with the weather forecast but I saw a lot of people heading up the highway. ISLD LK 01.jpg ISLD LK 02.jpg

IMAG2293.jpg
We ended up going to Pittsburgh lake. The drive to the trailhead was way more intense than I thought it would be! They are not joking when they say you need a high clearance vehicle and 4 wheel drive just to get to the trailhead. And the hike itself was very strenuous! I was not prepared for how difficult the incline was...especially with our gear! However, it paid off in the end :) . We got rained on a tiny bit on Saturday but nothing too bad. The best part was having the lake completey to ourselves :) its a beautiful little lake.

Last edited:
Good to see you had a great trip Stephanie! Its not easy having a lake to yourself on a holiday, how was the fishing?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
6 Uintas Trip Planning Trip Planning 5
TrektheWorld Need help with Uintas trip - camping Trip Planning 8
r3biker Backpacking trip to Clyde lake in Uintas Backpacking 8
S Uintas 2 Night trip Trip Planning 9
BryanG Early Season Backpacking Trip into the Uintas Trip Planning 2
Stephanie Uintas trip Trip Planning 3
danger02ward First Uintas trip of the season Hiking & Camping 4
Jackson First Uintas Trip - Amethyst Basin Backpacking 5
stu heilsberg Help planning Uintas trip Trip Planning 1
uintahiker What is the Best 3 day trip in the Uintas? Trip Planning 17
Tye Dye Twins Henry's Fork (3 day Uintas trip) Backpacking 13
ledcat Input on upcoming High Uintas trip Trip Planning 2
JaseTheAce First Uintas Trip Trip Planning 2
Yvonne Priord Lake Solo Trip, Uintas August 2013 Backpacking 20
M Yellowstone Mirror Plateau Trip Plan/Advice Trip Planning 2
balzaccom Spring trip to the Desert Hiking & Camping 0
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
John Goering More ancient past from the archives, 1981 Beartooths trip Backpacking 11
John Goering The ancient past. 1980 Beartooth trip Backpacking 11
Bob Short Motor Trip Thru Cody, Cooke City Off Road 6
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
Stephanie Help! Looking for a 1-2 day trip Backpacking 9
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
C What's a good insurance company for Wilderness Trip Outfitters Trip Planning 1
scatman Pre-trip Preparation General Discussion 176
Honk34 Day Trip WY Golden Trout Hiking & Camping 1
Janice Field Trip - Washington Post podcast about national parks General Discussion 0
J Castle/Conundrum/Hot Springs Trip - Colorado Trip Planning 5
balzaccom A civilized trip--on the rivers of Europe On The Water 0
Vegan.Hiker 8 day trip to Utah Trip Planning 10
C Thorofare Trip - September 2023 Trip Planning 3
W Gulf of Slides Ski Trail Trip Report 1/25/2022 Trip Reports 0
Ymyr Suggestions in a Yellowstone and a Beartooth trip Trip Planning 29
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
travel2walk last minute Colorado trip, maybe 4 passes? Meet Up (Members Only) 0
P Bighorns (WY) Trip report Backpacking 8
kwc A Few More Photos from Scatman’s Grizzly Lake trip … Backpacking 3
John Goering Pioneer Mountains, Montana <50" UTV trip Off Road 3
Kerrie at Thru We Go Packraft Trip in the Sierra Nevada Mountains Trip Reports 3
Georgia Yankee Can't seem to edit my trip report Questions, Suggestions & Support 4
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
The Trout Whisperer Dad n daughter trip in the very near future… Hiking & Camping 7
B 1-2 Night Sierra Trip Help Trip Planning 3
bouldermtn May/June trip suggestions Trip Planning 0
BJett Red River Gorge/Red Byrd Arch Packraft Trip - Kentucky Hiking & Camping 9
Bob Planning an Expedition type trip....... check this list out ..... Trip Planning 13
Janice Vermillion Cliffs Trip - Part 3 - Buckskin Gulch Hiking & Camping 3
Janice Vermillion Cliffs Trip - Part 2 - White Pocket & Coyote Buttes South Hiking & Camping 7
RyanP Does knowing the geology of the CO Plateau give practical insight for trip planning? General Discussion 20