Uintas Conditions 2014

Maybe they've already peaked earlier with the early melt. That'd be sweet.

:like:

:)

This is my hope but we will see. The last time I was in the Uintas we did a quick day hike and the bugs were biting pretty fiercely.

Mosquitoes were out in force last week at Christmas meadows campground

Just got back from a week in the Uintas (trip report coming soon). Bugs were bad at Pigeon Milk Spring. We camped at Helen Lake in upper Rock Creek Basin and they were deadly - swarms of mosquitoes, if not biting always buzzing around. Then we camped at Ledge Lake and along the river coming down West Fork Black's Fork drainage and there was hardly a mosquito at all in those places.

There were patches of snow blocking the trail on the way up to Rocky Sea Pass, above Gladys Lake and on the WFBF side of Dead Horse Pass. The Rocky Sea Pass & Gladys Lake patches required a little bit of a work around, but nothing difficult, and were big enough they will probably be there another week+. The Dead Horse Pass snow patches were mostly insignificant.

Bummer on the bugs but good to know. My wife wants to get up there, but she'd be pretty miserable if we were into bugs.

Did Dead Horse Pass yesterday, it is all clear from snow. Mosquitos were definitely out in WFBF but I have experienced far worse. Seems like they are calming down.

Heading here fist week of September. Going in Hayden Pass/Highline TH coming out Henry's Fork or China Meadows. Anyone been over Anderson pass?

Any ideas on what the Uintas are like mid Sept? I have a friend that can't get work off until then and wants to go on a few day backpacking trip. I'm assuming wet and cooler in the 30F to 70F range? Seems like so far this year we've seen 40F to 80F in July and Aug each time I've been up.

Any ideas on what the Uintas are like mid Sept? I have a friend that can't get work off until then and wants to go on a few day backpacking trip. I'm assuming wet and cooler in the 30F to 70F range? Seems like so far this year we've seen 40F to 80F in July and Aug each time I've been up.

I asked earlier about the Uintas in September, the general consensus was it's a very nice time to go, but be prepared for the cold. I am hoping to get up there at least once during the month.

I'm thinking early Sept. is a great time to go. Hoping the skeeters are dying down along with the monsoon moisture. Can't be too cold can it? Archery season is going on at this time may want to wear a little orange just to feel good.

Heading here fist week of September. Going in Hayden Pass/Highline TH coming out Henry's Fork or China Meadows. Anyone been over Anderson pass?
I've been over Anderson Pass several times. Just not this year. I am sure it is fine.

I've been over Anderson Pass several times. Just not this year. I am sure it is fine.

Agreed. I don't think it'd have a trace of snow anywhere near by right now or then, unless a freak fall snowstorm hits the area when you're here.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Anyone been up to the Uintas recently? How are the bugs? I'm going up next weekend and am trying to figure out if I will need to bring my bug net for my hammock.

Thomas, I doubt you will see any bugs, but netting is pretty light so id pack it. What kind of hammock and underquilt are you using? I'll be heading out to Ostler from the 29th thru 31st to test out the two person hammock, and to see if its really rated good to zero with its underquilt. Weather should actually be pretty nice for that weekend, which is good as the wifey sleeps cold and its been two years since shes been backpacking. Oddly, for as much as she wants to go something always comes up, and she cant make it lol. I think she will enjoy the hammock if she can get over all the widow makers up in the uintas now. Its getting really bad, and hard to avoid.

Have fun up there this weekend and if anyone is up at Ostler drop in and say Hi.

Thomas, I doubt you will see any bugs, but netting is pretty light so id pack it. What kind of hammock and underquilt are you using? I'll be heading out to Ostler from the 29th thru 31st to test out the two person hammock, and to see if its really rated good to zero with its underquilt. Weather should actually be pretty nice for that weekend, which is good as the wifey sleeps cold and its been two years since shes been backpacking. Oddly, for as much as she wants to go something always comes up, and she cant make it lol. I think she will enjoy the hammock if she can get over all the widow makers up in the uintas now. Its getting really bad, and hard to avoid.

Have fun up there this weekend and if anyone is up at Ostler drop in and say Hi.

Yeah I will probably pack it still but I doubt I will need it. I have the ENO Doublenest hammock. I don't have the under-quilt though. I'm just going to pack warm, and hope that my pad underneath me will keep me warm enough. I've never been cold in it before, but this weekend will be the coldest that I have ever stayed in it, so hopefully I don't freeze. We are thinking about heading to Island Lake but it all kind of depends on the crowds. If the Crystal Lake trail head parking lot is packed, we might try a different spot. Have a good trip!

Island Lake shouldn't be too bad as the fair weather campers and kids going back to school keep the crowds away. Was bad two weeks ago and tons of people got parking tickets that parked on the side of the road. Some nice spots to camp behind the big cliff if you walk in a bit and scope it out. Chances are you will get your sides cold with just the pad if the wind gets bad. But you can always use your empty packs, clothing, etc as insulation if it gets bad.

Does anyone know if there is any snow at the upper elevations in the Uintas at the moment? I saw some snow on Timp this past week one evening, and figured it meant the Uintas probably got snowed on as well.

This is from the Trial Lake Snotel:

upload_2014-9-11_10-7-23.png

I can't imagine it would still be enough this weekend to be problematic though. Hopefully someone can weigh in with actual observations.