Contagious Locations in Trip Reports

uintahiker

Adventure Guru
It seems to me that trip reports are a cyclical beast, and that some locations they trickle in from, while other spots it seems like one person posts and then there's a flurry of posts on or about the same/similar location. Anybody else notice this or is it just my perception? Or am I just screening things by what I', interested in at the moment? For example, it seems like there's been a lot of TR's from Yellowstone lately. A while back it was Escalante, etc. Just offering an observation and wondering if anybody else has noticed the same trend.

Ha.....that's cause after everyone sees how cool a spot is from a post they want to go..... :hot:

Although I think I scare everyone away where we go......can't get any takers for our 10 day Winds trip next week..... still have spots.

Ha.....that's cause after everyone sees how cool a spot is from a post they want to go..... :hot:

Although I think I scare everyone away where we go......can't get any takers for our 10 day Winds trip next week..... still have spots.
You've got some pretty awesome reports up . I love the Winds- Waiting for your TR after you return!

It seems to me that trip reports are a cyclical beast, and that some locations they trickle in from, while other spots it seems like one person posts and then there's a flurry of posts on or about the same/similar location. Anybody else notice this or is it just my perception? Or am I just screening things by what I', interested in at the moment? For example, it seems like there's been a lot of TR's from Yellowstone lately. A while back it was Escalante, etc. Just offering an observation and wondering if anybody else has noticed the same trend.
Might have something to do with time of year? Yellowstone and other mountain ranges are only hike able for a relatively short season. Same with hiking down south, too hot right now

Might have something to do with time of year? Yellowstone and other mountain ranges are only hike able for a relatively short season. Same with hiking down south, too hot right now
True, but it the correlation is a bit stronger then that. There are a high number of recent Yellowstone TR's out there, but not many of the Uintas and Winds relative to distance traveled. You look at the timelines for the desert, and there's a similar trend of one TR sparking a flash of TR's to the same area.

I think a lot of it is at certain times of year people are out experiencing trip reports and then come back and some time later write them. Thus during shoulder seasons the TR's from the desert dry up and then during the summer EVERYTHING starts drying up while people are out there doing and not writing. I'll bet there is a correlation to posts and comments going down on weekends and up on weeknights too :)

I actually think you have at least an extra month of hiking (2 weeks in the beginning of the season and 2 weeks at the back end) in Yellowstone as compared to most of the hiking in Wyoming. Lower elevation, thermal features, etc...

That being said, I will start my Teton trip report later today unless Special Agent Utah beats me to it. Or should I wait until after my next trip there in a couple weeks?

Sorry I got off topic. I'm easily distracted. Love reading them all.

Peace

True, but it the correlation is a bit stronger then that. There are a high number of recent Yellowstone TR's out there, but not many of the Uintas and Winds relative to distance traveled. You look at the timelines for the desert, and there's a similar trend of one TR sparking a flash of TR's to the same area.
I know what your saying, I've seen it before, on this site and others. Perhaps people read other trip reports, and get inspired to write about their own trip to the same area.

However, on this site, it definitely seems like there are more Uintas and Winds trip reports than anything else.

Chuck, I have my version of the Ortenburger trip written up, and pictures picked out. I just have to put it together. We are getting a monsoon today, and internet isn't working well, so not sure if I will get it done today.

You can put one together, and post it on that other backpacking site, so Double Cabin can tell you how much he knows about the area

Last edited:
I've been surprised at the lack of Uinta trip reports on here. I thought I would have seen a lot more at this time of year, maybe they will hit in a month or so when people get the time to write them up.

I've been surprised at the lack of Uinta trip reports on here. I thought I would have seen a lot more at this time of year, maybe they will hit in a month or so when people get the time to write them up.
Maybe the subject is saturated. I'll bet you can find TR's here for every major drainage and more than one that cross the entire range.

I can say I am directly influenced by this site. All of the reports are my motivation. Recently checked off Yellowstone with my Mom. We have been talking about it for 6 years but now that I am in closer vicinity of YNP and because of Josh's and others reports we made it a couple weekends ago. No report from me however. Only having a phone makes it tedious to type up a report. I have my sights set of Red Fish Lake and the Winds. Oh and I hikes table rock mountain because of a report on here. So thanks!! Keep me motivated.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I wish I had the vacation time to join you, that sounds like an incredible trip.