Boot Advice

Sarah

Hi guys,
After years of taking occasional hiking trips and getting by just fine in my trail runners, we have really upped our hiking game since moving to SLC. Because of this, I'd like to get something that provides a little more cushion and stability for my feet and ankles, especially when navigating unstable surfaces like loose sand or rocks. I haven't really been interested in hiking boots before, but it seems like now might be the time, especially since we are thinking about a multi-day trip to the Wind River Range this summer. I found two pairs of boots that get pretty good reviews, the Keen Targhee II and the Keen Voyageur Mid Hiking Boots. Does anyone have any experience with Keen boots, and these boots in particular? Is there another choice that would be better in the under $150 price range? I'm also not sure if getting a waterproof boot is the way to go or not. They sound nice but I've also heard they aren't as breathable and collect a lot of sweat. Any advice would be appreciated, I'm a noob to this corner of the market. Thanks!

I've found Keens to have poor durability. They generally have fit me well and felt good, but they don't last at all. I really like Vasque boots but since they killed off my favorite model, I've been struggling there too.

My .02: boots aren't really that important for backpacking. I know a lot of people who prefer to hike in lightweight footwear like trail runners and even Chacos as crazy as that sounds (they're about to chime in and tell me they're awesome) :) . I like to wear a low or mid boot but I absolutely hate heavy, mostly leather 'backpacking boots'. A little extra weight on your feet is a lot worse than you might imagine.

Now with that said, maybe if you're packing like 60 pounds on your back, there is something to be said for really sturdy footwear. I don't really know but that seems to be the common thing I've heard. My advice, pack light and then you can hike light in lighter footwear and just be way happier all around. 30-40 pounds is a pretty easy pack weight goal for a multi-day Winds trip and at that weight you should be able to stick with what you like.

Check out this thread for more:
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/whats-on-your-feet.1863/

i nearly bought the Keen Targhee II a couple months ago but decided against them because of the many reviews i read of the soles separating/splitting and the fact that they take so long to dry when wet.
i decided on the Salomon X Mid GTX. They are $160, but with the 20% off coupon code at REI (expires April 14th) you can get them at a great price.

@Sarah - find some boots you are comfortable wearing. That way you'll put some mileage on them instead of letting them rot in the back of the closet. I've had mixed success with Keens. They're way comfortable. Some do have the soles start to peel. The ones I'm wearing now I've worn daily for a year and a half, so it varies.

Regarding waterproofing- if you get hot feet or your feet sweat a lot, avoid it at all costs. I had a pair with waterproofing, but brought them back because I couldn't stand not being able to breathe. Some people love waterproofing, but I despise it.

I've found Keens to have poor durability. They generally have fit me well and felt good, but they don't last at all.

I have had the exact same experience with Keens.

I think your best bet is to go somewhere that has a good return policy, like backcountry.com or rei. If your shoes don't end up fitting well, or if they hurt after a few hikes, you can usually return them for store credit towards a different pair.

Everyone's feet are different. You're miles ahead by doing so much research beforehand, but make sure you try a ton on. My favorite boots may give you blisters or shin splints, and your favorite boots may pinch my toes. Find a sturdy pair that fit you well.

My .02: boots aren't really that important for backpacking. I know a lot of people who prefer to hike in lightweight footwear like trail runners and even Chacos as crazy as that sounds (they're about to chime in and tell me they're awesome) :) . I like to wear a low or mid boot but I absolutely hate heavy, mostly leather 'backpacking boots'. A little extra weight on your feet is a lot worse than you might imagine.

Totally agree that boots aren't as necessary unless your pack is super heavy.

Chacos are awesome, but they're not as lightweight as my trail runners, and they take a while for your feet to get conditioned to them. I've hiked a lot in them. The bummer is that they allow small pebbles to get in between your foot and sandal.

I can't stand high-top boots that cover my ankles. That being said, they do offer protection if you are prone to roll your ankle. For me, my feet prefer a shoe in-between a low-top boot and a trail runner.

- find some boots you are comfortable wearing. That way you'll put some mileage on them instead of letting them rot in the back of the closet.

Regarding waterproofing- if you get hot feet or your feet sweat a lot, avoid it at all costs. I had a pair with waterproofing, but brought them back because I couldn't stand not being able to breathe. Some people love waterproofing, but I despise it.

Great advice here as well. I only wear waterproof boots for snowshoeing. For everything else, I like as much breathability as possible.

We're running the winds in August, and I'll be taking my Teva Riva low-top hiking shoes (non-waterproof).

Last edited:
I'm with @Nick and @sixstringsteve on the heavy full leather backpacking boots. If I'm remembering correctly, Backpacker Mag had an article about backpacking shoes/boots. The main idea was to wear the lightest boot for the conditions. After backpacking in sandals because my heavy boots were giving me blisters I'm sold on the low to mid top shoes. Vasque seem to fit my foot the best of all the brands I've tried. I used to only buy waterproof shoes, but I'm starting to lean toward breathable shoes.

The only problem I've had with wearing light trail runners is when I've been in rocky areas. Last summer going over Fox Queant Pass (all rocks/boulders) wasn't very enjoyable. Thin sole and light shoe caused the tip of my big toe to go numb for about six months. No blisters, and my feet felt great all other times.

I agree w/ @Parma , the sole is key.
On Utah's slickrock and redrock I like sticky soled shoe. It really grips rock. Vasque Scree w/ Stealth rubber works well
If you are travelling over sharp rocky trails then a stiffer soled shoe is more important. Might be what you need for the Winds. I like Lowa Tempest or Renegade. Renegade comes in a gore-tex or leather only. I am not a fan of waterproof gore-tex shoes. I prefer leather or mesh.
If travel is over muddy wet trails then a sole that sheds mud and does not slip on wet rocks and roots is best. I really like trail runners, just bought New Balance MT610 for cheap on 6PM. They hold wet rock and root better than most. Sheds mud well. Very very light weight. It I had to pick 1 shoe this might win.

All of my shoes are low not high boots/shoes. High top boots are slowly going the way of the dodo.

Vasque Scree w/ Stealth rubber works well

This was my favorite shoe for quite some time. I think I went through at least 5 or 6 pairs of them, but in 2013 they did a redesign and dumped the Stealth Rubber for crappy Vibram amongst other changes that were not fun on my feet. I've yet to find a suitable replacement. :(

So... I'm on the other side of the pendulum swing, I've been going years in trail runners or low cut light hiking boots and have just picked up a pair of out and out full leather hiking boots (8" ankle). I've gone this direction for a couple of reasons:
1. I'm tired of completely wearing out a $80-100 pair of trail runners every season, not just wearing the tread but shreading the cloth sides.
2. I'm a mid weight hiker (20+ lb pack weight), I'm not bringing a whole kitchen but I'm not chopping off the handle of my tooth brush either. So I want the support.
3. After a full day or so of backpacking I have an old ankle injury that starts to go "soft" and it becomes easier to roll that ankle.
4. I'm not a little guy, and after a day hiking scree fields I really start to feel the rocks.
When I was looking for a solution to what type of footware to get, I looked at other people outside our community who do similar activities to backpacking to see what they were doing. Hunters still opt for the advantages and durability of boots, as do military personnel who spend a lot of time with their packs. I'm thinking that they might be onto something.
So yes they are heavier, but they're bomb proof, they are stiffer but I'm not feeling the rocks trough my souls. So if your a gram counter (most my friends are) go with a trail runner (I still love my New Balance) but there is a lot to be said for a solid durable boot that doesn't voiced a lot, I just wanted to add some counter balance to the conversation.
PS if you opt for a boot take the time to try them all on. Wear a midwieght hiking sock with a sock liner when you go to the store. Boots being stiffer getting a good fit is a little more critical.

Thanks everyone, very informative! In general I like hiking in the lightest shoes possible, and I'm not a fan of heavy, constrictive shoes. I go for short hikes in my Tevas all the time and they keep my feet super comfortable, and trail shoes usually work just fine for me. I think I do need to get something a bit more supportive than my trail shoes for longer hikes across rocks though, and trying things on sounds a good next step. I want a comfortable shoe but I also want to get some durability out of it. I'll check out the What's on Your Feet thread for a few more ideas of what to try on :).

Hi guys,
After years of taking occasional hiking trips and getting by just fine in my trail runners, we have really upped our hiking game since moving to SLC. Because of this, I'd like to get something that provides a little more cushion and stability for my feet and ankles, especially when navigating unstable surfaces like loose sand or rocks. I haven't really been interested in hiking boots before, but it seems like now might be the time, especially since we are thinking about a multi-day trip to the Wind River Range this summer. I found two pairs of boots that get pretty good reviews, the Keen Targhee II and the Keen Voyageur Mid Hiking Boots. Does anyone have any experience with Keen boots, and these boots in particular? Is there another choice that would be better in the under $150 price range? I'm also not sure if getting a waterproof boot is the way to go or not. They sound nice but I've also heard they aren't as breathable and collect a lot of sweat. Any advice would be appreciated, I'm a noob to this corner of the market. Thanks!
The most important thing, of course, is fit. Even if a boot is highly rated, it might not be the one for you. I tried on several brands of boots last year before deciding which ones to buy. If you're looking for something in the $150 range you might want to try some that are a mix of leather and fabric. They usually have gortex so they're waterproof. I looked at a couple of Asolo models and liked them.

I've had a great experience with Selewa boots. I have a pair of Alp Trainer Mids that get used a bunch and they hold up amazingly well. They feel more like a high top basketball shoe when wearing them. I had a pair that went through 3 major backpacking trips, yellowstone dayhikes and year of local days hikes and they were still in such good shape that I was able to sell them when i decided to move up a 1/2 size. I also have a pair of their Mountain Trainers (a heavier boot) that are great. I go up a 1/2 size with Selewa boots. They may not fit wide feet as well, make sure you can try them on or return if the fit isn't good.

I love my keens, they are super comfortable, but as others have stated I have been disappointed with the durability. The soles have broken off in several parts after just 2 years of use.

I find the mid high boots a good compromise. I definitely don't like the high boots, they seem overkill to me.

I am also in the market for a new pair of backpacking boots. I have a pair of keen gypsum boots but I would really like a boot with stiffer soles and more ankle support. My pack weight is usually between 20 and 40 pounds and most of my trips will probably be between 15 and 35 miles. So far I have been looking at the Asolo fugitives and flames and also the Salamon Quest 4d's. Anyone have anything to say about those boots or have any other suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Scarpa Kailash boots.........second pair since 2009, fit me great, lots of rough miles

Used them on 115 miles in the Winds, 60 miles in the Sawtooths, 65 miles on the Teton Highline, 50 miles in Kanab Crk/Cranberry/Fishtail Mesa, 100 miles in Grand Gulch (2 trips), numerous local hikes in Utah and Arizona. I'd guess 500 miles on them. And we don't stick to trails, lots of rock and scree on some hikes. Just tossed the old ones and have a new pair for our 80 mile Winds trip next week. Got a size bigger this time as I had to wear thin socks before. Fit me like a glove. As always try boots on, what fits one person good may not fit another good.