Album Phone pics...

Here is one from glass beach (Fort Bragg, California). It's a beach that was once a place where locals tossed there trash into the ocean. All the trash was cleaned up and all that is left are little pieces of sea glass.
20140622_143013.jpg

That is very cool! Kinda sad to know what it actually is from, but cool nonetheless.
I was thinking the same thing. After being there for a while and seeing bag after bag of glass leaving the beach. I was torn about how I felt. If bothered me a little to see all of the pretty sea glass disappearing. On the other hand it is realistically just litter and should it bother me to see people picking it up? It was crazy cool...

Last edited:
I am finally upgrading to a smart phone.
Which one would be the best for shooting pics while hiking?
All of them seem capable of doing what I need for work etc. So which one would you like to have on a hike?

Digital camera pics are still better.....IMHO

Never had an iPhone, but Apple does put quality optics on their phones. Samsung has made theirs out to be pretty good too, imo.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

My idea is, maybe old fashioned, phone is a phone, camera is a camera, GPSr is a GPSr. Each does there thing best. But they (who is they anyway) want everyone to have a single gadget that does all. Yes, I do have a smart phone that does all somewhat decent.

Agree with Bob. Smartphones are nice to have for pictures in a pinch, but even a $100 pocket sized point & shoot will probably outdo most any smart phone.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Good points.
Do either of you have an opinion on which phone you would get, (that would do good pictures in the wild).
I am going to buy a phone and need a nudge one way or the other.

I am finally upgrading to a smart phone.
Which one would be the best for shooting pics while hiking?
All of them seem capable of doing what I need for work etc. So which one would you like to have on a hike?

I have and love the Casio Commando 4g LTE from Verizon. Rugid phone, Stand alone GPS, Camera is 8mp rear and 1.3mp front. for more specs on it, here is the manufacture direct link...

http://www.casiogzone.com/us/4glte/

I had the original Commando too and beat the heck out of them both. They are made for outdoor use. This would be my recomendation for a smartphone.

Yes, a device that proforms a single function will always be better than one that has to compromise on functionality to do multiple jobs. However, I stand by my phone choice for an all around great smartphone for the outdoors enthusist. The only draw back is that it is only offered through the verizon network. The few pics I have taken with it have come out just as beauitful as my 4.0mp Kodak Digital Camera. 90% of the time I see something I want to take a pic of and say to myself, wish I had my camera. the moment passes and an hour later I plant the palm of my hand to my forehead remembering I have a camera on my phone that I could have used.

Last edited:
Nope I have the Motorola Razr Maxx. Got it for the battery life and decent signal capture. Camera is decent except at night. GPS is pretty good. Plus got it way cheap when I switched to Verizon. Signal capture/battery is tops on my list for a phone. Then I have a signal booster from Wilson Electronics. Works great if you can get a weak signal at all.

Nope I have the Motorola Razr Maxx. Got it for the battery life and decent signal capture. Camera is decent except at night. GPS is pretty good. Plus got it way cheap when I switched to Verizon. Signal capture/battery is tops on my list for a phone. Then I have a signal booster from Wilson Electronics. Works great if you can get a weak signal at all.

I am sure we could debate what phone is better than the other till the world ends, but they all have areas where they excel over another. I happend to get my Commando for free at the time when I upgraded to it, so I could not beat the price and I was after the rugid feature and GPS over other options for the smartphones. I do a lot of Geocaching and navigation with mine, so I needed something that would not break easily. Thus far, I have not been disapointed.

As to the camera, like I said, it takes great pics, but then again so does my Kodak. As to a phone that is designed with the outdoors in mine, I would recomend no other phone for taking pics outdoors. I have yet to find a con to talk about on the Commando and I have had the 4g version for a year now and its predisesor for 2 years.

This is only my opinion, and the final opinion that counts belongs to JackBurns opinion as he is the one that has to decide on what phone to get that suits his purposes and that he likes the best. I can only say that from personal experiance, if you have Verizon as your carrier, the Commando 4g is well worth checking out.

All of the pics that I have posted in this thread were taken with my Samsung S4. That being said all I have ever used is a Samsung so I don't have anything to compare it to. Here are a few pics from my trip to Crater Lake and the redwoods last weekend.

Jedediah Smith State Park
20140620_171846.jpg
Tide pools near Crescent City, California
20140621_122615_Richtone(HDR).jpg
Crater Lake, Oregon
20140619_155455.jpg

Last edited:
iPhone 4S

Catskills, NY - Summit of Panther Mountain

a2edupaq.jpg

Shawangunks, NY - I thought my wife photobombed me in the top right corner at first, but I ended up liking it better with her there.

a7yby5eh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the pics that I have posted in this thread were taken with my Samsung S4. That being said all I have ever used is a Samsung so I don't have anything to compare it to. Here are a few pics from my trip to Crater Lake and the redwoods last weekend.

Jedediah Smith State Park
View attachment 17697
Tide pools near Crescent City, California
View attachment 17696
Crater Lake, Oregon
View attachment 17695

I'm headed to this area this week, great photo's!