Smart Phones in the Backcountry

I have an S5. Set the ultra power saving mode on and only turn it off when needed. Do NOT override BT and GPS while on ultra saver. That actually makes the battery drain faster than normal mode.
GPS - unless you use an AP with its own maps, if you loose your data connection, you loose the maps. GPS accuracy on the S5 can be off by up to 250 ft. Solar charging is slow and if you hit numerous rainy days, it doesn't exist. I would still take a handheld GPS.
Camera is great.... even the digital zoom. Night shots are so so. Camera is somewhat water proof. Just fine in a heavy rain. Get an Otter box case to protect from dropage. My sister drove over mine with her SUV and it suffered no damage.

To test the accuracy of your phones GPS, pick a spot on Google Earth that can be easily seen like a light post or mailbox. Do a screen capture and then use that jpg as an overlay in Google Earth. Save it as a kmz, open it in the Google Earth ap on your phone while standing at that spot. Make sure and repeat the tests at different times of day for several days. My very first smartphone had a very accurate GPS. Then I switched to Samsung's S3 and later to the S5. 5 is better than 3 but neither were as spot on as the Sony-Ericsson.

edit: should have mentioned to turn off WiFi and data so you are only seeing your kmz

Last edited:
I have an S5. Set the ultra power saving mode on and only turn it off when needed. Do NOT override BT and GPS while on ultra saver. That actually makes the battery drain faster than normal mode.

So you just take it in and out of ultra saver mode rather than toggling the gps on/off while in airplane mode? I don't think I'd override BT....

And thanks to everyone...lots of good ideas and discussion.

If anyone wants to purchase a solar charger, I have a goal zero new in box that I would sell for a very good price. Just PM me if interested.

So you just take it in and out of ultra saver mode rather than toggling the gps on/off while in airplane mode? I don't think I'd override BT....

And thanks to everyone...lots of good ideas and discussion.

Ultra saver and airplane mode on the S5 are not the same. Ultra saver really does drastically save on the battery.

I need to jump in here. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. I have used it on my last two major backpacking trips in the Winds as my sole GPS unit. I do carry a map and compass as backup. I use the Backcountry Navigator app and download the topo maps and satellite view for the area of my trip. It's easy to download the maps.. Just load the map with a data connection, draw a box around the area you want and hit "download". Now you have your topo map while off the grid.

When in the field I leave the GPS on and put the phone in airplane mode. The GPS still works and you will get incredible battery life. Load Backcountry Navigator and choose the map source you downloaded. You can see your exact location on the topo map. You can scroll around and view the topo map and hit an icon to return to your current location. You can also upload pre-made gpx routes, which I do for off-trail exploits. The great thing about the Galaxy series is that you can bring spare batteries which are relatively light. I went through two batteries in 9 days (brought 3). I kept the phone off when I didn't need it. I used the gps when on the move, listened to some music here and there, and searched my downloaded ebook "Flyfishing the Rockymountain Backcountry" when I wanted fishing info. I also took some photos with it and tried to get a cell signal on top of Washakie Pass. I could get a couple bars but when trying to make a call it would fail.

Galaxy S5 would work in a similar fashion. I do have battery saver on and I put it in airplane mode. Test your setup on a local day hike to make sure everything works how you expect before heading out on a backpacking trip.

I use my S5 all the time in the backcountry. It takes great point and shoot photos.
I throw it on Airplane mode to save battery (which doesn't last all that long in my opinion when running GPS too). I do like the Ultra Battery Saver mood, but i haven't done the turn it off and turn it back on because I find that drains the battery A LOT while the GPS tries to relocate you.
Now the thing I do love about the S5 in particular is the water resistance. I killed my last phone canyoneering because I forgot to take it out of my pocket. I haven't had to worry about the S5. I have jumped in multiple pools with it in my pocket and it still runs just fine (If I'm doing a long swim then I toss it in a dry bag).

my two cents.

Oh yeah and i use AllTrails Pro for my app...

My Samsung S4 seems to have a very accurate GPS, I use it every day to track my walks and it's usually right on. It isn't triangulating because we only have one cell phone tower in this area.

Phone is a phone, camera is a camera, GPSr is a GPSr. Want the best for the backcountry, buy the three. Compromise buy a phone and someway to charge it.

I'm kind of excited to try it out. It's kinda dorky and goes along with trying to save tiny bit of weight, simplify, and be more "resourceful". I've liked a lot of suggestions here. I'm liking the camera on my s5. In some ways it's better than my point and shoot. I'll narrow it down and choose one of the mapping software programs, maybe buy some sort of case (because I can be clumsy), buy a few extra s5 batteries ($30 I think), download some useful literature, throw on an audio book and/or a regular book, possibly get by a mini tripod made for phones, and I'll see what happens. Most backcountry trips of mine aren't super serious and usually someone in the group has a proper map and/or gps. It's been a fun thread. I'm sure others will chime in and share more. Good stuff everyone.

Galaxy S5.
I do use a case, mainly to give the phone a little more texture for me to hold on to it. And my case is bright orange so hopefully I'll never lose the phone.

I turn off data syncing, put the phone into airplane mode, and put the phone into Power Saving mode (though usually not Ultra Power Saving Mode). While in Power Saving/Airplane mode I can still use the GPS, and the Bluetooth (I'll come back to that).

I use the phone as my primary camera. It's as good as any point-n-shoot I've had (better than many) and it's always handy. And I like that those photos will be automatically backed up online once I get home and back on the wifi.

I use the app Backcountry Navigator Pro with AccuTerra maps that I pre-download at home on the wifi. I also use this app to download GPS overlays for trails and locations.

I've upgraded to a 64gig micro SD card for this phone (it's capable of operating with a 128gig but those are expensive). So I have about 40gig of music in MP3 format that I carry on the phone. This way I don't need data streaming to access music. I use the PlayerPro app to play my music because it'll play my iTunes playlists once I sync them. And I have set the camera to save photos onto this micro SD card.

I carry this bluetooth speaker to play that music. It's USB rechargeable, its got a 10 hour battery life, weighs in at 11 oz, and puts out pretty good sound. Plus its rugged and water resistant, with a rubber cover for the ports. I usually listen while on the trail with the speaker in the top pocket of my pack and the phone in my pants pocket, and while cooking and hanging out in camp. Not for everyone, I know, but the tunes definitely help keep me going on the trail. And sometimes I listen to a (pre-downloaded) podcast in camp.

And I recently bought a new battery to help keep the phone and speaker running. Its 9000 mAh of power is capable of fully recharging my phone 4 times (from under 10% to 100% 4 times!). Its got 2 USB ports so as long as I carry 2 cables I can recharge the phone and the speaker at the same time (obviously recharging both will mean I can't get 4 full phone charges out of it). Its also rugged and water resistant, with a rubber cover for the ports. It weighs only 9 oz. And it even has a small LED light built in. (I got this battery from Amazon as one of their deal-of-the-day sales for only 40 bucks!)

This setup has worked great and still had battery left on a four day trip. I've yet to try it on a longer trip.

I should put the geocache app back on my phone, but I've never used it all that much.

Last edited:
Great stuff @Don ! I forgot about the SD card. I'll need to grab a bigger one for taking pictures/videos. I've also been impressed with the camera thus far. That's good to know that you put it both in airplane AND power saving mode. I haven't played with the latter yet. I use airplane mode all the time though.

I'll have to check out that battery. Looks cool. I was just planing on buying extra regular s5 batteries. But I'm still thinking on that.

I imagine when it's all said and done, I'll be a happy camper just like you are! Thanks!

Oh...how long does it take to recharge your phone from like 10% with that battery/device?

Oh...how long does it take to recharge your phone from like 10% with that battery/device?
Good question. I didn't actually time it. I'm going to have to try that and get back to you.

Does the SD card work well with the S5? I've had three S4s now (oops) and all of them had SD card problems with various brands of card, I've given up on them.

Does the SD card work well with the S5? I've had three S4s now (oops) and all of them had SD card problems with various brands of card, I've given up on them.
I'll have to do some research when it comes time to buying a 64 gb (or 128 gb) card. I've heard of devices not playing well with certain types/brands. @Don, would you let us know which brand you bought? Thanks.

I had some problems with 16 and 32 gig cards on my old S2. I assumed it was because the S2 wasn't set up for use with larger cards, and it worked most of the time anyway.
I haven't had any problems using 32 and 64 gig cards with my S5. The card I currently use is a SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Class 10. (If you have Amazon Prime it's currently only $36.95 with free shipping!)

Capture.JPG

The one thing that bugs me about the S5 is that Android Version 4.4 KitKat has restricted the ability of apps to edit folders on the SD card. Any app that doesn't come pre-installed on your phone, either by Google, Samsung, or your carrier, will lack write privileges to the external SD card. Third-party cameras and image editors won't be able to save photos to the SD. Music players like DoubleTwist (which I LOVE) can't sync music to your SD card. Even a folder manager app like ES File Explorer can’t edit (rename, delete, move) folders or their contents on an SD (which just defeats the purpose of a damn file explorer app!).

I’ve heard recently that 3rd party apps can now create a file for their stuff on the SD. So for instance you could install Backcountry Navigator Pro, and tell it to save files to the SD and it will be allowed to create a folder that it has rights to edit, but it cannot be used to edit any other folder. Maybe that would solve my concerns about the camera app saving photos to the SD, but it would not allow a photo editor app to adit the camera’s files. And it wouldn’t help DoubleTwist.

They claim this is for security reasons; no apps can mess around in other apps’ folders. But for me it was a huge upgrade-downside. And it’s the main reason I rooted my phone only about 2 weeks after I bought it. Now I can decide which apps (like ES File Explorer and DoubleTwist) are allowed root access. And of course I dumped a bunch of the preinstalled bloatware (why do I need an Android SMS app, a Samsung SMS app, and a Tmobile SMS app, for instance!?).

Maybe look into how this would affect the apps you use before you run out and buy a bigger SD card…