Community feedback on easy 2-nighter?

Mike Yang

Got a sudden reprieve from work so I'm headed down to southern Utah this Saturday and looking for any tips/recs on great places for a short camp or backpack. Have spent a decent amount of time throughout the area day-hiking, and have backpacked alone before, but haven't backpacked (alone or with others) in the area, so this time am looking to take the next baby step towards being like @Jammer. :) I will have a high-clearance 4wd.

I know that's super-broad, so here are a few trips I was eyeing:

-- Coyote Gulch: pretty obvious one, but do folks have thoughts on whether the temps are high enough to comfortably go splashing around this one? And will it be full of people?
-- Little Death Hollow/Wolverine: Looks like there will be rain this weekend which might make Little Death too much?
-- Lower Muley Twist: Not sure I want to do the cut-off alone, but perhaps down and back from Lower Muley TH would be lovely?

I'd also happily take tips on great places to primitive basecamp and just wander around for two days.

Sorry for the vagueness but the possibilities are endless! Thank you!

Well... just so you know up until 2005 I had never done anything longer than overnighters in the state of Utah (though I'd done a ton of day hikes.) That year I did a 3-night trip through Coyote Gulch and from that point on there was no turning back! So... be careful how big your baby steps can be once you are hooked! :)

That said... my trip was in the Fall and I've heard that CG can get crazy busy this time of year.

LDH or Upper or Lower Muley Twist could all be good options I think. BTW -- if you do Lower Muley, I would do the Cut-off down. Upper Escalante/Death Hollow/Mail Trail could be a good choice as well -- though not as remote (but not as popular as CG.)

Good luck,

- Jamal

I would bear in mind that rain can make many of the backroads in southern Utah an absolute mess, if not impassable. The Escalante area and the Capitol Reef area have a pretty high chance of storms this weekend. I'll be backpacking this weekend, too, down to Lathrop Canyon in Island In The Sky. It looks like it might storm there, too, but the chances aren't quite as high and the road in is paved. Have you considered heading to the Moab area? There are some great backpacking trips you can do in Canyonlands.

I would bear in mind that rain can make many of the backroads in southern Utah an absolute mess, if not impassable. The Escalante area and the Capitol Reef area have a pretty high chance of storms this weekend. I'll be backpacking this weekend, too, down to Lathrop Canyon in Island In The Sky. It looks like it might storm there, too, but the chances aren't quite as high and the road in is paved. Have you considered heading to the Moab area? There are some great backpacking trips you can do in Canyonlands.

That's on my list to do. Can't wait for your trip report!

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. The weather vs. jeep week is an unfortunate choice. I don't start hiking until Sunday, so I may make a game time decision tomorrow about whether I head to Torrey or Monticello depending on the weather radar. Maybe the weather has scared off folks who already booked permits in Needles...? (Hopeful face)