The Subway, May 2012

Nick

-
Ahhhh backcountry fest! After backpacking The West Rim with the backcountrypost crew, we made our way back up to the Kolob Terrace Road, picked up the cars and went back to our sweet little campsite to relax and prepare for The Subway. This being my 4th trip through, I opted to leave the big camera behind and just bring along the point and shoot so forgive the lack and quality of images. I'm usually against going back to a place so soon and so often, but The Subway is just such a wonderful experience. I could do it over and over and that feeling is only amplified by being able to see others experience it for the first time. What a great hike.

We got started a little late due to some trailhead confusion and a late night in camp. PS, if anyone wants to learn how to shotgun a beer properly, I highly recommend joining the next backcountry fest. :lol: But luckily, even with a bit of confusion we had dropped cars and were hiking down the Wildcat trail by about 8:40am.

zion-subway-1.jpg

zion-subway-2.jpg

zion-subway-3.jpg

The view into the left fork just before the steep gully into Russell Gulch.
zion-subway-4.jpg

The usual crossing of the Russell Gulch pool had become much deeper so we crossed around the head of it instead.
zion-subway-5.jpg

zion-subway-6.jpg

The confluence of Russell Gulch and The Left Fork (Subway).
zion-subway-7.jpg

We moved quickly past the first boulder jam obstacle which was particularly nice as we had a group of complete idiots right behind us. They were actually throwing rocks into the Russell Gulch pool while we were there having a snack and suiting up. :facepalm:
zion-subway-8.jpg

zion-subway-9.jpg

The first swim and underwater arch
zion-subway-10.jpg

zion-subway-11.jpg

The Bowling Alley was just like last year. The new log is still wedged under the ball but it is easy to swim around despite some conflicting reports (ahem, ratagonia). ;)
zion-subway-12.jpg

zion-subway-13.jpg

zion-subway-14.jpg

zion-subway-15.jpg

zion-subway-16.jpg

We ran into a few people at Keyhole Falls so we decided to break above them before rapping in.
zion-subway-17.jpg

barl0w
zion-subway-19.jpg

FourisTheNewOne
zion-subway-20.jpg

Amazingly, we ran into 4 guys who had made it as high as Keyhole Falls from the bottom up. They had managed to climb up the log by the waterfall. Pretty impressive. On that same note, FourisTheNewOne actually downclimbed there and dropped into the pool without incident. No rapping into the Subway for him.

zion-subway-21.jpg

zion-subway-22.jpg

zion-subway-23.jpg

Yellowstone 1
zion-subway-24.jpg

whitwilli
zion-subway-25.jpg

zion-subway-27.jpg

zion-subway-28.jpg

zion-subway-29.jpg

zion-subway-30.jpg

zion-subway-31.jpg

zion-subway-32.jpg

All in all a fantastic trip through the Subway. Everything went like clockwork, we moved fast through the obstacles and had a great time. Who's in for the next one?!? :cool:

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

This being my 4th trip through, I opted to leave the big camera behind and just bring along the point and shoot so forgive the lack and quality of images
YOUR FIRED! :frantic:
Just kidding, sometimes the less weight is nice.

You know I get times I don't want to take the "good" camera then most the time I wish I did. Looks like the direct sunlight in some of the spots would have been a challenge though. Looks like a good time. Any toads out? I have times down there that they were all over the place, but I think that was July.

YOUR FIRED! :frantic:
Just kidding, sometimes the less weight is nice.

You know I get times I don't want to take the "good" camera then most the time I wish I did. Looks like the direct sunlight in some of the spots would have been a challenge though. Looks like a good time. Any toads out? I have times down there that they were all over the place, but I think that was July.
There were loads O toads out and about on this day.

BTW, if anyone that came along on this trip would rather post your pics here than do a full trip report, feel free. I totally encourage a full TR though. ;)

That means I have to actually take the time to sit down and sift through pictures! Maybe this weekend I will. I had to cancel Moab. Too exhausted and Ethan is out of commission :( his rear shock is being rebuilt.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I will add a few photos. I would like to say that this was such an awesome trip as I had never been to Zion before and the combo West Rim/Subway was a great way to see the park for a first timer. Big thanks to nick for setting it up! Special thanks to barl0w for helping with some first aid when a tree bit me in the ear and to blueeyes and Saori Barlow for the mental boost out of the canyon when I got a pinched nerve and my back started to seize.

The first obstacle.
IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

Toads abound
IMG_0436.JPG

Log jam below Keyhole Falls.
IMG_0445.JPG

The final turn in the canyon before the buskwacking madness begins.
IMG_0483.JPG

But just before the bushwacking you get the waterfalls.
IMG_0494.JPG

Last edited:
Great TR, Nick, and awesome pics. Trying to get up my courage to do this -- been up from the bottom, but not yet down from the top. Was there a big crowd at the Subway itself?

Looks like fun. That water looks refreshing.

Great TR, Nick, and awesome pics. Trying to get up my courage to do this -- been up from the bottom, but not yet down from the top. Was there a big crowd at the Subway itself?

It's great fun, John. And in my opinion, MUCH easier than doing it from the bottom. You just need to join up for a top-down trip sometime. Once you've been through with someone once, it's easy to keep going back. There were a few groups moving through the subway but no problems really. We swam for a while in the pools before moving on.

SOOOOOOOOOOO Jealous. Hoping to knock this one out sometime this year with alene. She's going to apply for some permits soon.

If anyone needs a buddy to go through and you have a permit, please let me (us) know. I'm sure many of those on this trip would love to go back. It was my first experience going through, and I'd love to be a tour guide or one that has experienced the hike.

When I go again, I would like to take less - now that it's summer, I'd go through with my Osprey Talon 22, 3L of water, food, and water-proven shoes, but I'm not sure I'd take a wetsuit. Rappelling was really a highlight for me and Saori, and those into parkour/nimble fellows (like Clint :tongue:) could do it w/out anything. The rappel gear really weighs nothing, so I'd probably vote to take it - at least webbing.

I'll add that Nick was a master guide, and having everyone on the trip made it that more fun!

Here's some photos that I took:
DSC_3766.jpg

DSC_3882.jpg

DSC_3885.jpg

P1010526.jpg

P1010525.jpg

DSC_3912.jpg

DSC_3927.jpg

P1010509.jpg

The Subway by Scott Barlow, on Flickr
DSC_3957.jpg

Great hike and photos ! Can't wait to be there ! I have some permits for August 20th and looking for partners ! If any of you is interested please contact me !

If anyone needs a buddy to go through and you have a permit, please let me (us) know. I'm sure many of those on this trip would love to go back. It was my first experience going through, and I'd love to be a tour guide or one that has experienced the hike.

When I go again, I would like to take less - now that it's summer, I'd go through with my Osprey Talon 22, 3L of water, food, and water-proven shoes, but I'm not sure I'd take a wetsuit. Rappelling was really a highlight for me and Saori, and those into parkour/nimble fellows (like Clint :tongue:) could do it w/out anything. The rappel gear really weighs nothing, so I'd probably vote to take it - at least webbing.

I'll add that Nick was a master guide, and having everyone on the trip made it that more fun!

Here's some photos that I took:
The Subway by Scott Barlow, on Flickr
I'm jealous of your toad and Subway photos.

I had a great time without a wetsuit last August but we still ran into several people that were very cold. So I guess it really depends on your own tolerance to cold.