A Year Under The Stars

WOW!!! That is amazing!!! :twothumbs:

Should have mentioned, this is the video that has definite aurora borealis in Utah. Did you see it?

Adding this photo to this thread so that FB has a thumbnail when people link.
peekabootrails.jpg

You're way too good, man! How'd you do the panning? Do you have a rig for that or was it done in post-processing?

Thanks guys! :D

I didn't have enough content to do what I originally set out to do with this but I figured this was better than having to wait another year to get it done.

You're way too good, man! How'd you do the panning? Do you have a rig for that or was it done in post-processing?

No rig, just in-software panning. Someday though....

Should have mentioned, this is the video that has definite aurora borealis in Utah. Did you see it?
Beginning at 33 seconds in?

Sweetness! Love the end when it gets fast. :twothumbs:

Me too. I made several different versions of this before settling on this one. I really liked the fast sequences but it made it so I only had like a minute of content! Some of the fastest sequences are running upwards of 100 frames per second. I repeat, 100, thirty second exposures, PER SECOND! I'm going to be running my star trail shoots in a totally different way in 2012. :)

Me too. I made several different versions of this before settling on this one. I really liked the fast sequences but it made it so I only had like a minute of content! Some of the fastest sequences are running upwards of 100 frames per second. I repeat, 100, thirty second exposures, PER SECOND! I'm going to be running my star trail shoots in a totally different way in 2012. :)

So you gonna shoot longer timelapses? or how you gonna do it differently?

So you gonna shoot longer timelapses? or how you gonna do it differently?

Yep. Much longer and more often. Before I would only set them up under ideal conditions to get a single star trail image so basically no clouds and a nice foreground. I'll probably start letting it run for hours on end, get a shorter trail out of the bunch and save the rest for time lapse videos. And clouds, more clouds! It would be cool to get a dolly but the only time I could ever really use it is on short day hikes and car camping so might not be worth it for me since I prefer backpacking.

have you ever thought about doing the timelapes with the slider effect? I made one this year out of PVC and a telescope motor. I am waiting for some better "warmer" nights to give it some more shots. The only downside I see about this is then I can't turn it into a star trail picture cause of the movement. Guess I will have to keep both cameras shooting.

have you ever thought about doing the timelapes with the slider effect? I made one this year out of PVC and a telescope motor. I am waiting for some better "warmer" nights to give it some more shots. The only downside I see about this is then I can't turn it into a star trail picture cause of the movement. Guess I will have to keep both cameras shooting.

For sure, that's what I was thinking of doing with the dolly, something like this would be awesome. But you're right, no way to get a star trail image out of it and also no way to do the trailing time lapse effect that I did in this video. I'd be really interested to see what you made out of PVC, sounds very interesting. And probably a bit cheaper than $900! :lol:

For sure, that's what I was thinking of doing with the dolly, something like this would be awesome. But you're right, no way to get a star trail image out of it and also no way to do the trailing time lapse effect that I did in this video. I'd be really interested to see what you made out of PVC, sounds very interesting. And probably a bit cheaper than $900! :lol:
I started working on a DIY dolly using stuff that I could find at Home Depot and a 12VDC motor that I bought for $13. But I'm about to give up. I can't find reduction gears for the motor, which spins at 8 rpm, and also I realized that I would need a stepper motor and some kind of synchronizer because the continuous motion from the motor otherwise would cause blurring with 30-second exposures. I actually have an arduino microcontroller that I bought for another project that I never finished either, so my record for actually finishing a project isn't good. That $900 rig is looking better all the time. I to would like to hear from others who have made DIY motion controllers.

I don't have many shots of it, and only used it a little at the beging of one of my videos....

slider2.jpg

slider1.jpg

I use http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546195-REG/Celestron_93514_Astromaster_Motor_Drive.html for the motor. But it will only do it side to side. It will pull the camera 4ft in 45 mins at the fastest speed I have it set at. Going to try more with it this year when it warms up.