Sundial Peak - 6/21/14

scatman

I hiked with some members of the Wasatch Mountain Club this past Saturday to the top of Sundial Peak located up Big Cottonwood Canyon. The trail starts at the Lake Blanche trailhead and is approximately 4.7 miles to the top of Sundial - so about 9.5 miles round trip.

We made our way to Lake Blanche and then hiked around the dam to the south side of the lake. At that point the trail starts up a hill before fading out and the rest of the route is cross country. Our group made it across some glacial polished rock, then did a little rock hopping before finally accessing the ridge to the south of the Peak. Once on the ridge we worked our way back north to the peak.

Wasatch_Summits.jpg
Route map

14295660217_6c352b83f0_k.jpg
Sundial Peak and Lake Blanche

14480878732_dd7190a09f_k.jpg
Walking on polished rock

14458984866_e699a3b2a0_k.jpg
Nice little waterfall

14478762561_3eca78ec6d_k.jpg
Beginning of the rock hopping

14295691007_2e645f9e2e_k.jpg
On the ridge working our way north

14295493819_38f94f61c3_k.jpg
More ridge scrambling

14459023936_a95725d0e9_k.jpg
Getting closer!

14295492810_2e36ccc6ab_k.jpg
Made it

Sundial Peak is a nice hike. The weather cooperated and it took us about seven hours and fifteen minutes to complete (including lunch on top). The views from the top are great and certainly make it worth the effort.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Looks like it was a good time. Were you there at the trailhead when all the emergency vehicles were there in the afternoon? Do you know what happened? We drove by but never saw anything on the news, so we assume nothing serious happened to anyone. Looked like all the trailhead lots up BCC were at and over capacity on Saturday.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

@WasatchWill - Yeah, I saw the vehicles at the trailhead when we came out. One of the emergency responders said that there had been a motorcycle accident, though I could not see where the accident had taken place.

We saw a lot of people on the trail we hiked and the "S" curve was full of vehicles when we came out.

Great report and photos! Looks like I need to do sundial peak sometime.

Awesome photos!!

WOW! That Knife edge rock scramble to the top looks a little iffy. How was it?

I went up to the lakes same day, you passed us going down on our way up. I thought I recognized you from some trip reports! I need to do the peak now too! That looks incredible!

We saw life flight fly over sundial. If you zoom in you can see it left of the peak, wonder if it was related to the emergency activity you and @WasatchWill saw?
image.jpg

@nonameiwant -
Great report and photos! Looks like I need to do sundial peak sometime.

You still have to check Triangle Peak off your bucket list first! :) All kidding aside, this is a hike that I highly recommend. Once you make it to the lake and beyond the scenery is gorgeous. Also, it's one that can be accomplished in a reasonable amount of time.

@Miss Buffalo -
nice!!! I always wondered what it will look up from there. I definitely need to do this sooner or later

I think you should make it sooner! :) Again highly recommended.

@HomerJ -
WOW! That Knife edge rock scramble to the top looks a little iffy. How was it?

The knife's edge wasn't too bad. There was one spot where I had to drop off slightly to the east from the crest for a very short distance. It was easier than the various knife edges that I encountered on Wildcat Ridge.

@Devo -
I went up to the lakes same day, you passed us going down on our way up. I thought I recognized you from some trip reports!

Next time just slap me upside the head and say "Hello!" I probably had my head down just driving towards the trailhead when we passed.

Awesome! It always amazes me to see the pictures from a summit climb. I always look at mountains like they're a big chunk of rock, until I'm reminded that they're big chunks of little rocks.