Waterproof backpack bag for packrafting?

Mikjik86

I usually line my backpack with a 3 mil black trash bag in case of any water. I will be crossing the Colorado River on a packraft twice during my next trip coming up, and wondered what some people use for covering their pack entirely. I had thought to just throw the backpack in its own black trashbag on top of my packraft.

Are there any other lightweight (not too expensive) DIY hacks or supplies anyone knows?

Not sure if The drop has ended yet but I just picked up the Klymit Splash 25L bag on Massdrop.
Volume: 25 Liters
Weight: 31 oz / 878 g
Capacity: 30 lbs / 13 kg
210D Nylon Body
420D Nylon Bottom

I usually line my backpack with a 3 mil black trash bag in case of any water. I will be crossing the Colorado River on a packraft twice during my next trip coming up, and wondered what some people use for covering their pack entirely. I had thought to just throw the backpack in its own black trashbag on top of my packraft.

Are there any other lightweight (not too expensive) DIY hacks or supplies anyone knows?
Are you crossing the Colorado in Canyonlands, like around Spanish Bottom? If so, a trash bag should be fine since that's all flat water.

i've used trash compactor bags before since they're a little more durable, less likely to tear.

Are you crossing the Colorado in Canyonlands, like around Spanish Bottom? If so, a trash bag should be fine since that's all flat water.

The Colorado near Bowdie Canyon in Dark Canyon Wilderness. From what I've gathered the stretch of water has nothing of concern in regards to rapids. Im hoping it will prove to be an awesome trip. :D

I just take a big old NRS drybag that's about the right diameter, stuff it inside my empty pack, and then load it as normal. Obv this is bomber and survives full immersion and the bags are totally indestructible. But if I was just crossing the river a couple times, as opposed to spending days in the water, I'd probably go with a lighter-weight alternative.

Back