Boundary Canyon w/ Narrows Exit

Blake Merrell

Life Elevated - Rising Higher

These overnight canyoneering trips are proving to be some of my favorite trips. Of course, how can ya go wrong if you add flowing water to a Zion slot canyon? I'm almost convinced that US canyoneering doesn't get much better!

The orginal trip plan was to do Kolob canyon with a Narrows exit. When we went to pick up our permits, the Zion Back-country Desk would not let us have our permit. We had a few backup plans, and we landed on Boundary canyon. It was flowing we were anxious to rappel down some Zion waterfalls!

Boundary canyon did not disappoint. It is a short and sweet canyon. Lots of spectacular drops in a short time. Almost to short. I can totally see why people would not like doing this canyon in a day. Not much time spent in a canyon compared to the exit hike out. Fortunately for us, we had a much better plan. We were going to backpack out Lower Kolob canyon to camp in the Narrows overnight. I think I might have loved the exit hike more than the tech canyon!

We found all the solitude anyone could ever ask for. The first people we ran into were while we were setting up camp in the Zion Narrows. Once we got past Big Springs though, the narrows were packed with people, At that point interest dwindled in the beautiful scenery, and we just wanted to get out and away from the zoo.

Nice TR. That last 3 miles or so in the narrows is like Grand Central Station these days. Oh well, all it takes is a little work and you get seemingly the whole place to yourself.

We did the same last year and it was amazing. The kids went up the MIA exit and we enjoyed a night of relaxation. What I really loved about Boundary was the walls. A really beautiful canyon!

We did the same last year and it was amazing. The kids went up the MIA exit and we enjoyed a night of relaxation. What I really loved about Boundary was the walls. A really beautiful canyon!

Agreed! The walls of Boundary are amazing. That whole slot was super impressive. I didn't expect what I saw. I guess that is what I get for not really researching the route. I just downloaded the GPS markers and went!

Back